Phil and Dalene Hamer

Phil and Dalene Hamer

hey there!

Thank you for checking out our blog! Stop by regularly and keep up to date with what we're up to! Here we will be sharing our adventures, heartaches, insights, challenges and probably really random stuff. Phil is a filmmaker with a gift of storytelling. Check out R4P.co to see more of what he does. And Dalene will be writing most of the posts! Ha! We have a passion for bringing awareness to injustice, and spend our days learning and contemplating how to empower the voiceless. With our family and friends, we work through Until Then to help street kids, and are continuously seeking relationships with organizations and individuals who we can join arms with. We hope you enjoy our blog!
Dalene and Phil

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Restoration


There is something about being here  seeing the growth in our projects and my soul is overwhelmed as joy comes out in tears flowing down my cheeks. Dan planted a banana tree yesterday at a community development centre opening ceremony, and I had never been so proud to be a Hamer before. This family continues to move and humble me. Here we are in Kenya, to empower locals to engage each other and utilize their combined skill and knowledge, and we find ourselves in a village at a ribbon cutting ceremony for a project Dan didn't even know he had inspired. And that's my father in law. God is good. 
When my dad died I mourned for the loss of what would never be. My heart bled for the things we cannot ever share, for the loss of future memories. My dad never really supported my passion in helping street kids, though maybe he didn't understand it. Walking around communities with the team, my father in law being here and sharing in our efforts together is a big blessing, and God's restoration of my heart is happening. So the tears come at the wells where "Until Then For Street Kids" is carved in the concrete slab. Tears come when we walk through a village that has had agriculture training and the people are not starving but thriving. There are good things happening here. Maybe some day you'll come with me and see the transforming power of hope in resources at the community level, brought on by the introduction of developed farming in not needing chemical fertilizer but only legumes. My problems back home are no longer problems, but inconvinences. 
We have a few days left here, and I know they will be packed with much for me to learn. 

We found a group of street boys to hang out with pretty quick in Kitale. It was a cold day. 
Photo by Mike Teramoto

No comments:

Post a Comment