Phil and Dalene Hamer

Phil and Dalene Hamer

hey there!

Thank you for checking out our blog! Stop by regularly and keep up to date with what we're up to! Here we will be sharing our adventures, heartaches, insights, challenges and probably really random stuff. Phil is a filmmaker with a gift of storytelling. Check out R4P.co to see more of what he does. And Dalene will be writing most of the posts! Ha! We have a passion for bringing awareness to injustice, and spend our days learning and contemplating how to empower the voiceless. With our family and friends, we work through Until Then to help street kids, and are continuously seeking relationships with organizations and individuals who we can join arms with. We hope you enjoy our blog!
Dalene and Phil

Thursday, November 18, 2010

A hard day in Kitale


It was a hard day today in Kitale.  After a great day at Mattaw, I (Phil) met my friend Sammy at the district hospital to help out one of his friends.  As usual, the story was confusing and hard to understand over the phone, but after meeting Sammy and his friend, it all started to come together. 

Sammy's friend Faith, a young girl no older than 20 years old, had gone into labor two weeks ago, at the same time her husband was killed in a car crash on his way home from Mombasa.  Faith had complications during her labor, and needed to have a C Section at the hospital (most girls from the slums jut give birth in their homes).   However, Faith did not have the 7000ksh to pay for the C section (about $70USD).  After her baby was born, she was informed by the hospital that she would not be able to leave until she paid her bill, and that she would continue to be charged 300ksh everyday she stayed. 

In a country where the average person makes less than $1 a day, for a poor girl who was orphaned at the age of 10 and lives in the slums, paying a $75 bill is impossible.  We were able to pay Faith's bill using donations made by people who clicked the button on the top of this blog to donate.  After getting Faith out of the hospital, where we had to literally show a receipt at the door before letting us leave with the baby (similar to Costco), I asked Sammy a question I wish I hadn't.

I asked Sammy "What would have happened if we weren't here to help Faith?" Sammy responded "They would not let her leave with her baby until she paid the bill."  At first I laughed, unable to comprehend what Sammy had just said.  He reiterated, "Many times the Moms have to leave their babies because they cannot afford the hospital bills, and then the babies are sold".... "Sammy? Really?" I stated in disbelief.  "If you don't believe me, let's leave Faith and see what happens." 

After getting home, I couldn't stop thinking of the 50 or more other women in the maternity ward laying with their babies, and how many of them won't be able to pay their bill.  And what will happen then. 

I asked a few other friends in town if what Sammy had told me was true... everyone sadly corroborated his story.  Each person I had talked to knew of at least someone who had the same thing happen to them.  There was also an investigation that happened at another hospital in Kenya where a woman was kept hostage in a hospital for two years because she was unable to pay her bill and unwilling to leave her new born child.  

I'm not telling this story to guilt you into donating more money to help, I'm not telling you this story because I want you to be impressed at something we did to help, I'm not telling you this story to show the horrors of Africa.   I'm telling this story because I don't know what else to do. 

4 comments:

  1. Gut wrenching. That brought tears . . . thank you for sharing. More people need to know the realities of the rest of the world. Just telling their stories is one step closer. God bless you guys! Praying for the rest of your trip. Wish I could've been there with Howie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Phil and Dalene,

    so proud of where you guys hearts and lives are in standing with the poor. This is a situation that, sadly, I was aware of... your action today moves me to want to be a better person. Thanks.

    uncle eric

    ps
    hit Sammy in the arm for me :-), drink a real cup of chai- upstairs at Vision Quest, in the morning, watching life go by... and give my love and greetings to all my friends in Kitale. Mugu Aka Barike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll find a way to bandage the wound, but you know that a cure for this is in the advancement of these persons social living. I'll get back to you when I can show you support. All my love brethren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God for people that care ! What a horrible thing for any mom to go through. Thankfully you were there when you needed to be.God bless you and keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete