Phil and Dalene Hamer

Phil and Dalene Hamer

hey there!

Thank you for checking out our blog! Stop by regularly and keep up to date with what we're up to! Here we will be sharing our adventures, heartaches, insights, challenges and probably really random stuff. Phil is a filmmaker with a gift of storytelling. Check out R4P.co to see more of what he does. And Dalene will be writing most of the posts! Ha! We have a passion for bringing awareness to injustice, and spend our days learning and contemplating how to empower the voiceless. With our family and friends, we work through Until Then to help street kids, and are continuously seeking relationships with organizations and individuals who we can join arms with. We hope you enjoy our blog!
Dalene and Phil

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day Three



I watched the sunrise this morning from my bed, glancing through the
window pane and curtain. Through the bamboo and avocado trees rose
this orange blob, glistening and changing form before my eyes. Trash
is burning somewhere, I still smell it filling up the air, but it's a
comforting scent- a constant in an ever changing environment.

Birds are singing a symphony to me this morning, saying "it's already
a beautiful day! Wake up!". The roosters crow and I know the birds are
right, it is going to be a beautiful day. I woke up in Africa, my
favorite continent; Kenya, my favorite country.

The colorful landscape pops more brilliant than I can capture in a
photo or describe. My heart remembers the times before of these greens
and golds and reds of majestic shades were created for me to enjoy.

It's day three, and we have much to do before we leave on day seven.
I'll probably want to change my ticket to stay longer, but that's not
realistic. The desire of my heart is to always stay in this beautiful
country, filled with the riches of creation and fullness of joy.

We met a boy yesterday, Franco, that my dear friend Kimberly had
rescued. Franco is about 5, and in December 2007 his mother was hacked
apart like a coconut, her blood spilled because her attacker was of a
different tribe in the infamous post election violence. Franco was
raised by his ailing grandmother, who soon could no longer meet the
demanding needs of a toddler. Kimberley found Franco yesterday at
NPYT, a street kid ministry outside of town. Franco isn't a street kid
tho, he's an orphan, and his chances for survival among child
soldiers, gang members and sexually abused children was not looking
good. Kimberly and her husband Bud established Mattaw Children's
Village, and that's where Franco will find his forever home.

A street kid is considered the scum of the earth here. We are judged
for working with them,  especially for befriending them. "You can't
trust them, they'll steal from you and take advantage of you," is what
most people here say. But we know that this is exactly the mindset of
why these kids are raised by the streets. They have no one to love
them, and so we love them. We hope for them and pray for them and
laugh with them when we can.

This isn't just another day in Africa, this is the life I was created
to live. I must be a voice for the voiceless, an advocate for the
unwanted. They are part of creation just as much as the rising sun and
blossoming flowers, yet few people stop in awe and say "they are
beautiful, I want to know them."

Ever hopeful,

Dalene.

No comments:

Post a Comment