Phil and Dalene Hamer

Phil and Dalene Hamer

hey there!

Thank you for checking out our blog! Stop by regularly and keep up to date with what we're up to! Here we will be sharing our adventures, heartaches, insights, challenges and probably really random stuff. Phil is a filmmaker with a gift of storytelling. Check out R4P.co to see more of what he does. And Dalene will be writing most of the posts! Ha! We have a passion for bringing awareness to injustice, and spend our days learning and contemplating how to empower the voiceless. With our family and friends, we work through Until Then to help street kids, and are continuously seeking relationships with organizations and individuals who we can join arms with. We hope you enjoy our blog!
Dalene and Phil

Friday, February 24, 2012

Another great day in Kenya



There was no road but it didn't matter, Kim pushed through the bush as children stared at their first encounter with a vehicle and probably white people. Men were pushing up a makeshift power line as we slowly passed by, I thought it would block the path we just made or fall on top of us but it didn't. I see it every where here; everyone can charge their cell phone but no one has water.

I first came to Kenya in 2007 on a "mission trip" to work with orphans. I quickly fell in love with street kids (and my future husband) and knew my heart would forever be captivated by this enchanting place. Kim and I joked that we never thought I would have a project in a remote village, but there we were, driving to collect data and samples from the wells we've built here in the last year.



"The people fetch water here until 10 o'clock at night, and the line is too long to wait," Barnabas reported as I took notes on depth and consumption. Barnabas is our project foreman, and he's brilliant. I wanted to know how far from this site our next well would be, so we walked one kilometer to the next nearest water source; a hole in the ground where water sometimes flows but the cows get in the way. It was the perfect spot. If people already come to this location for water, they'll use the water we provide. One well in one village isn't going to make a worthwhile difference.

The sunscreen was losing against the hot African sun as we visited the 5th well, so Natalie waited with Kim as I walked with Barnabas and Franco to get the sample. Along the way the three of us spoke of cultural differences in my country and theirs, them in shock as I reported similar social problems of street kids, prostitution (commercial sex) and domestic violence. They realized America is not a fantasy land of perfection as I heard their testimony of community strength. Ever heard the saying "it takes a village to raise a child?" Well I was in a village, and there were children everywhere. Some of their parents were dead but they stayed with their people, the village elders and chief insuring the grandparents or aunties could raise more children than they birthed.


Another great day in Kenya. I would say, in honor of Hendri Coetzee, that today was a contender for the best day ever. I'm doing something good in the world which brings me joy.

Ever hopeful,
Dalene

No comments:

Post a Comment